The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, or S.P.C.A is a non-profit, humane organization that was first founded in England in 1824. The Society works to prevent the mistreatment of animals, to take care of sick animals, and to teach people to take care of their pets. It is a worldwide organization. To-date, the ideas spread all over the world and there are societies in every corner of the world.
In Sarawak, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was started in Kuching very many years ago in 1959, it was formed by a small group of expatriate officers who were moved by the sight of diseased dogs and sick animals that roamed in the streets. But the society could not do much and became inactive. However, towards the end of 1975 (in September) a group of both expatriates and local people decided to revive the activities of the S.P.C.A. The first meeting was held on 10th of October in “Eversleigh”, the residence of the then British Council Representative Mr. Williams. Since the 10th of October 1975, the founder members have been most active in membership drive, forming first and foremost Pounds committee and pets collections, wildlife committee etc. The Society has acquired a new constitution in 1977 and is now known as The Sarawak Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals – S.S.P.C.A.
Since October 1998, the Society’s Animal Shelter is located at 61/2 Miles Penrissen Road, Kuching. In order to run the shelter efficiently, the Society also have the Head Office located at the Shelter.