Objectives & Functions
Bank Negara Malaysia is the central bank for Malaysia. It was established on 26 January 1959, under the Central Bank of Malaya Ordinance, 1958, with the following objectives:
- To issue currency and keep reserves safeguarding the value of the currency;
- To act as a banker and financial adviser to the Government;
- To promote monetary stability and a sound financial structure;
- To promote the reliable, efficient and smooth operation of national payment and settlement systems and to ensure that the national payment and settlement systems policy is directed to the advantage of Malaysia; and
- To influence the credit situation to the advantage of the country.
In meeting these objectives, the Bank is guided by the principle that it should act only in the economic interest of the nation and without regard to profit as a primary consideration.
Hence, the functions of the Bank are carried out within the context of the broader goals of promoting economic growth, a high level of employment, maintaining price stability and a reasonable balance in the country’s international payments position, eradicating poverty and restructuring society.
In particular, the Bank ensures that the availability and cost of money and credit in the economy are consonant with national macroeconomic objectives. In this respect, the Bank acts as the banker for currency issue, keeper of international reserves and safeguarding the value of the ringgit, banker and financial adviser to the Government, agency responsible for monetary policy and management of the financial system and banker to the banks.
Bank Negara Malaysia
Jalan Dato’ Onn , P.O. Box 10922 , 50929 Kuala Lumpur
Telex : MA 34137 / MA 34138
|Bank Negara Malaysia Pulau Pinang
Jalan Corner Light
10200 Pulau Pinang
|Bank Negara Malaysia Johor Bahru
Jalan Bukit Timbalan
80000 Johor Bahru
Johor Darul Takzim
|Bank Negara Malaysia Kota Kinabalu
Jalan Datuk Chang Thain Vun
88000 Kota Kinabalu
|Bank Negara Malaysia Kuala Terengganu
Jalan Sultan Mohamad
21100 Kuala Terengganu
Terengganu Darul Iman
|Bank Negara Malaysia Kuching
|Shah Alam Currency Processing & Distribution Centre
40000 Shah Alam
Selangor Darul Ehsan
For More Information :- http://www.bnm.gov.my